Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

TESLA TURBINE!

So, as some of you may remember, around spring of last year I had a failed attempt at building a Tesla Turbine. Obviously the problem was aiming too high for a proto-type (using aluminum disks 1 ft in diameter).
This time I took a page out of the instructables book at this page. Mr. Fixits over at instructables has come up with a really clever way to build a Tesla Turbine. I became so enamored with this build so much that I decided to build my own proto-type turbine almost identically. This would allow me to test the claim on the page and at the same time investigate my own doubts about a blade-less turbine.
By the way, I know this is interrupting the FTIR table but I have to do something while the parts get shipped!

This is a side view of the turbine. Basically just cd's I don't want in the cd case they came in. Also, there are some plastic washers in there I used as spacers.

I drilled a few holes with my dremel ( not sure the of diameter) to act as an exhaust port. The holes don't span the entire height - that's actually about the extent of it. This might be a problem as I'm not properly exhausting the water or air.


This is a view from the side - just a regular cd case. If you look closely you'll see the tope 2 cd's are at an angle - this is probably due to the nozzel. I wasn't able to mount it perfectly - this creates drag which drops the RPM's. I haven't yet gotten a tachymeter (I only did this today around 11 am) so I can't tell how many RPM's I might be losing.







This is the first nozzel mechanism. I used 2 nozzels. This connects directly to the faucet. I can use the control valve to vary the pressure feed into the turbine.







This is the full assembly. The little red thing would be the second nozzel. I hot glued that into the case ( which is where the friction comes in).



        

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice work geek. Now explain the application to someone who doesn't know any physics or math.